Wednesday, June 8, 2011

6 days!

Hello all! I've created this blog as a way for family and friends to be able to read about my daily adventures, as phone communication to America is quite limited for me. I will try to post everyday, but am not sure as of yet how busy my schedule will be.

Here is my flight info:
June 14:
Departure: 12:27 pm from Kansas City
Arrival: 3:49 pm in Washington D.C.
Departure: 5:25 pm from Washington D.C.
June 15:
Arrival: 8:30 am in Vienna, Austria
Departure: 10:00 am from Vienna, Austria
Arrival: 10:35 am in Graz, Austria

While studying with professors at Lied Austria International in Graz, I will be taking German language courses, taking voice lessons, and taking German poetry classes as well (Work with Words...where I will learn more about connecting the German poetry text to the music of the German Lied composers).
http://liedaustria.com/

Lied literally translates to "song" in German. The genre of "Lieder" refers to the German art song during the Romantic period, which famous German composers such as Franz Schubert and Robert Schumann set to German poems. The poems often center upon themes of love.

If you wish to send me mail, here is my address:
Lauren Buser
Schloss St.Martin
Kehlbergstraße 35
8054 Graz, Austria


I will be taking along my cell phone and get charged $1 per minute for phone calls, but whoever I call or whoever calls me in the U.S. will not be charged extra.
785-633-8725


Also, I will try to check my email daily. laurenbuser@gmail.com




Schloss St. Martin is a Renaissance castle dated back to 1638. It is surrounded by mountainous woods and lies in the middle of an organic garden and fruit tree plantation. I have been given a single room, at an additional cost of course, and I have recently been told I will need to hand-wash my laundry due to lack of laundry facilities in Schloss St. Martin.

Wish me luck in my travels, and I will see everyone very soon! :)
Lauren



"If you have nothing
to say to me, you have nothing to sing to me either."
– Johann Michael Vogl
The first professional Schubert singer

1 comment:

  1. Oh Lauren, I hope you're having fun!

    Bryan used to pack our dirty clothes into a suitcase, take it on a 15 minute subway ride, then walk to a laundromat. Imagine those cobblestone streets with a suitcase - not cool! We had washing machines where we lived, but didn't have enough clothes to wait for them to hang dry in our room. Fond memories...

    Enjoy your time and take every opportunity you're given to see and experience as much as you can. Have a blast!!

    ReplyDelete